Friday, January 21, 2011

Blog Post # 15 in response to Question O

This class has made me realize and understand that various forms of oppression and systemic discrimination exist in our society that I never had taken the time to think about before. I think that everyone can take certain steps to fix these problems that exist in our society. The first step that everyone can take to fight for socio-cultural transformation is to realize that discrimination does exist. If you don’t realize that something exists you can’t do anything either for or against it.

Now that I realize that forms of oppression and discrimination exist I think my next step is to truly try and understand what privileges I have in society. There are so many different privileges that it can be hard to understand them all. Before this class I never gave much thought to even having white privilege, but now I realize that not only do I have white privilege but I also have heterosexual privilege, Christian privilege, able-bodied privilege and the list goes on and on. What I need to remember is that, yes I may have these privileges, but by having these privileges it means that others miss out on the change to have these privileges as well. I am going to try and look at my life and lifestyle from the other end, and I will try and understand how much of a struggle life can be for people who suffer because of the privileges that I have.

Realistically, one person can’t change the world. No matter how much I want the world to be an equal place for all, I alone cannot make that happen. I need to reach out to friends and family and teach them what I have learned from this class. It doesn’t even need to be in a formal setting because in everyday life situations of racism and forms of oppression come up. If I can just point out and make the people around me see how harmful and destructive acts of racism and discrimination can be then maybe they can spread the message to people that they know too. I know that I will be more aware of what goes on around me, and if I see something that I don’t like in regards to discrimination I will say something and fight for it. I don’t need to start a revolution, but I can take little steps to fix the common occurrences that happen because of the inequalities that exist in our society. These little steps are the key to having equality in our society, and if everyone can take a few little steps each day we will be well on our way to a safer, healthier, happier world for all.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I have done the same thing. I have really never thought about white privilege before...but now I am thinking about it more since I was forced to. I think we should do that more often - think about things we usually don't.

    I think that is a good idea - telling your family and friends about these things. Those are great little steps in order to make some real change!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you remind us that one person is not going to be able to change the world. There will always be those people who are stuck in their own ways, but if enough people challenge the existing stereotypes that would be a huge step in the right direction. We can, and should all do our part to help make a change but its going to take a lot more than one person to change the entire world's opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of difficult conversations with my family and friends. At times they litterally blow up in my face. So I can relate with your desire to raise awareness after all that has been taught. I have a friend that made a stereotypical comment that could use a bit of probing. I just hope I'm careful not to place blame.

    ReplyDelete